Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A Look at the Mets first week of baseball

So, after a little over one week of baseball, the Mets season has proven to be as abysmal as I thought it would. Right now, the Mets are in, you guessed it, last place in the NL East with a 4-6 record and are 3.5 games behind the division leading Phillies. As I said in my preview of the Mets season a few weeks ago, it would be the Mets' starting rotation that would decide which direction they head in. I said that Mike Pelfrey and R.A. Dickey would have to step up as leaders of the rotation and shut batters down like they did last season. But, as I suspected, they have not been able to do this. Pelfrey, the Mets' number one pitcher, has an ERA of 10.80 and is 0-1 to start the year. Not what you want from your starting pitcher. Chris Young, however, has really exceeded my expectations. He has stepped up in the rotation and is 1-0 with a 1. 46 ERA. If he stays healthy, I could see him being moved up to the number 1 or 2 spot very soon.

For this first week, I give the Mets a grade of D for their efforts. Its been an awful week for the Mets, both pitching and hitting wise and I definitely think they need to get the ball rolling soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment